Saturday, November 10, 2007

Dirty Dirty Techno in San Diego?

An opportunity has arisen for the:metronome:project to host a club night in downtown San Diego. With every opportunity like this first comes the excitement. Here is a chance to create a night that I would want to go to, my vibe, my music.

Unfortunately, that is quickly tempered by reality. A $2,500 guarantee, no support from management other than running the venue, and a previous cliental that was hip-hop driven and have refused to even check out previous attempts at electronic music nights (which have failed miserably).

To succeed I need to bring in partners which means watering down the vision. Quickly the night starts loses direction and instead of creating a night like Club Mighty in SF, it devolves into a cheap emulation of Ruby Skye relying on model wannabes and another overpriced DJ in an already saturated market.

Is it worth it, I have until Monday to decide…

No comments: