Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fizheuer Zieheur

Track : Fizheuer Zieheur
Artist : Villalobos
Label : Playhouse

When I first heard these tracks on the Dance Department podcast I was intrigued, “The longest techno track ever?” Of course they could not play them in their entirety, but the segments that I heard sounded great. Unfortunately it never went for sale on Beatport and I eventually forgot about it.

Recently reading an article on Villalobos I was reminded of the track and did a google search and found the CD at amazon.com.

I have been listening to the EP for the last two days, at over 30 minutes plus each it takes a while to get through them, and I have to say that they are good. The groove, the sound, the mental state that they create is amazing; unfortunately their length bogs them down. Fizheuer Zieheuer has a horn sample that eerily floast over a deep groove while Fizbeat is a hypnotic minimal track that slowly rolls along.

However, do they need to be 30 minutes plus each? No. While the tracks are outstanding, they become monotonous because they lack the internal movement to become a sonata. Instead they feel like really long techno tracks.

The upside though is that there is enough room in the track to layer other songs on top of it, slowly bringing them in and out. Adding that additional drama that the tracks require to be played their full length.

And this is what I intend to do.

No comments: