Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Z-Trip at On Broadway

I came to the realization recently that I needed a vacation. My stress levels and the thought time off after a year of no vacation sounded great. Looking at the calendar I decided to take the two days off prior to my gig at Faces Nightclub. Unfortunately the promoter canceled his event and I was stuck with two days and no plans.

Luckily I saw that Z-Trip was going to be playing at On Broadway for their 7-year anniversary. I have been a huge fan of Z-Trip since listening to his Live at the Future Primitive Sound Sessions CD. I was even lucky enough to see him at the 10 year anniversary of that event.

Arriving at the club I entered upon what appeared to be the remnants of a shareholders meeting. A mixture of clubbers, businessman with trophy wives, and guys in zoot suits. To deal with this odd mixture the opening DJ was playing a mix of music that at best could be described as Top 40, worst wedding.

As Z-Trip took control of the decks he faced an impassive crowd and immediately moved to take control. Starting out with some classic hip-hop he slowly started building the energy. Every cut / scratch / record had a point. And once things started moving the mash-ups began. I am not the biggest fan of mash-ups, to many SD lounges based on them. But Z-Trip’s are so unique and expressive I go a little crazy. From their the night became a little of a blur, sweet beats mixed with vodka tonics begat a dancing frenzy which peaked with Z-Trip being joined be a live drummer on the stage.

When Z-Trip returns, the : metronome : project will be there.

No comments: